A COMMON VISION
Filling the gaps in the current education system so that children have an equal opportunity to complete their schooling and receive a quality education — one that focuses on exposure, problem solving, creative thinking, building confidence and nurturing responsible citizens.
WHat THEY DO
iTeach set up its first school in 2015 in Pune, through a public-private partnership with the Pune Municipal Corporation to offer free secondary level education. They currently operate 8 schools in Pune city.
- Equip students with the academic skills they need to complete a college degree.
- Develop their character, decision making abilities and life skills.
- Actively engage parents in the child’s educational and overall development.
Academics - Secondary level and college readiness
Life skills - Communication, collaboration, problem solving
Exposure - Beyond school and academics
Graduation - Commemorating their achievements and hard work
Over the three years of Bansuri support, iTeach has introduced various programs and activities to promote holistic child development.
Reading: With a focus to inculcate a love for reading, iTeach introduced ‘choice reading’ in academic programs. They partnered with Joy for Reading, an international NGO which shares the same goal. This program helped to improve fluency, comprehension and eventually the average child was reading 1-2 novels a month.
Blended Learning: A program that uses online digital media alongside traditional classroom methods to teach English and Maths.
Sport: In collaboration with Cool Coach they were able to provide crossfit training to all students. They also worked with Just for Kicks, to set up an under-16 boys football team.
Culture: Through the Apprentice Project, students were taught singing, dancing, public speaking, art & craft, coding and drama; while 50 students signed up with Baithak Foundation to learn Indian classical music.
Personal & Professional Development: School of Life conducted advisory sessions with students to help them deal with personal issues, which in turn helped improve attendance and reduced the need for corrective conversations. Additionally, the NGO Antarang worked with grade 10 students to address career related topics.
Using digital media
Bansuri supported iTeach for 3 years from 2015-2018 at their BJR school and actively engaged in initiatives that would provide cultural exposure. Bansuri encouraged the integration of art into the school curriculum and brought in Baithak Foundation to introduce students to Indian classical music. Industrial visits were organised at Alicon Castalloy Ltd facilities in Pune where students were introduced to manufacturing concepts like Kaizen, quality control systems, accuracy, R&D and problem solving.
MAKING A DIFFERENCE
- Over 400 children were educated through BJR from 2015-2018 and all the students who were enrolled at the school in the first 2 years completed their grade 10 Board exams successfully.
- Parental engagement being a key focus, the average attendance at parent teacher meetings was 75% to 85%.
- A significant improvement in English, math and reading abilities was found, following iTeach’s focus on bringing students up to their grade levels in those areas.
- 89% of the former BJR students passed their grade 11 exams, at their respective colleges.